Monday, 1 July 2013

even though literally everyone here speaks english, it is very typical to suddenly find myself in the midst of a zulu shouting match. it is absolutely hilarious to try to piece together what it is that they are talking about. it is also amusing to me because in america it is so very rude to speak in a language that some of those in the group do not understand. sometimes i feel so at home, and at times like that, i feel like such a foreigner. 
south africans do not have a high opinion of americans, so during the times when we get out and away from lily, if asked, i tell people that i am canadian. it seems like the best solution. :)

we have had quite a lot of rain over the past few days, which somehow led to power outages. i am no wimp, but i was very excited for the power to come back on so that i could heat up water for dishes, baths etc. there is just something gross about being cold with no way to warm up. thank you moms, mel and family for the warm clothing that you sent me!! i layered up and loaned a couple of things out as well. 

a typical scene in the office, as i am breaking for lunch and checking emails etc. the boys come in to try to use the computer and mbali comes in shouting in zulu for them to leave. this is all done in good humor. today she threw a cup of cold water on them to make them leave. so funny.



1 comment:

  1. Haha! I was worried that people would have a bad opinion of Americans here too. However, I was told by someone (I think a guy on the plane) that now that Bush is out of power Europeans in general are more pleased with us. Who knew?!

    Also I got corrected in class today. I can't say I come from America - "That's a continent!" my teacher said. I have to specify den USA. So much work! :)

    ReplyDelete